Dr. Gates and Dr. Rutherford discuss supplements.
Please enjoy and send us your feedback!
Recipe of the Week
Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Kale Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chopped onion (about 2 large)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage (I use half hot and half mild or sweet)
- 8 cups coarsely chopped peeled sweet potato (about 2 ¼ pounds) *
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package pre-washed torn kale
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained **
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Remove casings from sausage and add to pan. Cook 5 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Add potato, 5 cups water, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes. Gradually add kale; cook 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining ½ teaspoon salt and beans; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 1 ¾ cups).
* I use Oriental Beauty sweet potatoes from Raley’s as they are much sweeter.
** For a thicker consistency, coarsely mash some of the beans before adding
them to the soup.
Recipe courtesy of Deb W.